Skip to main content
Original Issue

A roundup of the sports information of the week

BASEBALL—LOUISVILLE COLONELS defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs 4 games to 2 in the American Association's junior world series. In the first game Louisville's center-fielder MACK JONES drove in four runs with a single and an inside-the-park homer for a 4-1 victory. Toronto came back in the second game with 16 hits for a 10-1 victory, won the third game 6-2. In the fourth game Louisville evened the series 2-2 with an llth-inning victory, followed with a 4-0 shutout in the fifth game, then clinched the series with a 5-1 victory after FRANK TORRE's two-run, sixth-inning homer.

BASKETBALL—NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION granted franchises to CHICAGO and PITTSBURGH beginning with the 1961-62 season. The players for the two new teams will come from college graduates plus the other teams: the eight present teams will be allowed to keep their top seven players, the rest will be subject to draft next April by the new clubs. The NBA's board of governors also voted to boost team squads from 10 to 12 players until December 12, after which they will be limited to 11 players.

BOATING—BILL MUNCEY, driving Seattle's Miss Thriftway, won the Governor's Cup and clinched the national unlimited high point hydroplane championship at Madison, Ind. BUDDY BYERS of Columbus, Ohio, driving Miss DeSoto, won the seven-liter (next fastest to the unlimiteds) world championship at Madison, sanctioned for the first time in the U.S. by the International Motorboating Union.

BOWLING—RAY BLUTH of St. Louis, runner-up for the last two years, won the Southern Match Game championship at. Nashville, Tenn. Bluth took 28 games and lost only eight in the 36-game round-robin match finals for 187.06 Petersen points and toppled 7,956 pins. Second was Joe Joseph of Lansing, Mich., with 186.19 Petersen points and 8,094 pins.

BOXING—JOE BROWN, world lightweight champion, knocked out Raymundo (Battling) Torres of Mexico in the fourth round of a nontitle bout at Houston.

Len Matthews, three-round KO over Kenny Lane, lightweights, Los Angeles.

Vince Martinez, 10-round decision over Basil Campbell of Kingston, Jamaica, welter-weights, Miami Beach.

Floyd Patterson, after successful exhibitions in Sweden and England (see page 20), found Germany unrewarding. In first exhibition at Oldenburg, only 150 showed up in hall seating 5,000. Patterson received little more response in other cities throughout Germany. In Ketsch, near Heidelberg, where 20,000 American Army and civilian personnel live, only 100 turned out. Said a disappointed Patterson, "Maybe I'll come back (to Germany) for a vacation instead of doing exhibitions where nobody comes."

FISHING—CLUB MIRAMAR of Santurce, P.R., edged out Cat Cay Club of the Bahamas by less than seven pounds of blue marlin in four-day international game fish tournament at San Juan, P.R.

GOLF—BILL CASPER JR. of Apple Valley, Calif., won the $20,000 Hesperia (Calif.) Open with a 13-under-par 275 for 72 holes. Runner-up: Bob Rosburg of Overland Park, Kans., with 280.

Jack Laxson of the U.S. Army defeated Defending Champion Phil Rodgers of the Marines by three strokes in the interservice tournament at. Fort Ord, Calif. Laxson shot 285 for 72 holes. HENRY GLAISTER of the Army won the senior division with 298.

J. Frost Walker of Yale shot a par 70 to win the Eastern College Athletic Conference championship at New Haven, Conn, by two strokes over James Frick of Williams, Williams-town, Mass. NAVY won the four-man team competition over Hamilton College of Clinton, N.Y., with a score of 327.

HARNESS RACING—ADIOS BUTLER, 4-year-old colt by Adios—Debbie Hanover, paced the fastest mile in harness history, 1:54 3/5, at a time trial at Lexington, Ky. With Paige West driving, the 1959 winner of the Little Brown Jug clipped 2/5 of a second off the mark set in 1938 by Billy Direct, Adios Butler's grandfather.

Elaine Rodney won the $64,040 Kentucky Futurity in two straight heats over Quick Song, at Lexington, Ky. The brown filly trotted the second heat in 1:58 3/5 to break the world's record for 3-year-old trotters by 2/5 of a second. Her combined time of 3:58 4/5 was the fastest ever for a 3-year-old trotter in a two-heat race. Clint Hodgins was the driver.

The TATTERSALLS sale at Lexington, Ky. set a record price average for the sale of standard-bred yearlings. In five sessions, 292 yearlings were sold for $1,748,150, an average of $5,987 per head. The highest price, $81,000 (second highest ever paid), went for Mon Mite, son of Hoot Mon out of Mighty Margaret.

HOCKEY—The NEW YORK RANGERS, by defeating Boston 2-1 and Toronto 5-2 in their two opening games, took an early lead in the National Hockey League. CHICAGO, however, after winning their opener with Detroit 4-2, moved ahead with a 3-2 victory over the Rangers. Bobby Hull scored all three goals for the Black Hawks.

HORSE RACING—BALLY ACHE, leading Thoroughbred money winner ($454,545) of the year, was pulled up by Jockey Bob Ussery with less than a hundred yards to go in the Gold Cup Prep at Hawthorne: he had dislocated his right ankle. "Undoubtedly, Bally Ache is through racing," said his trainer, Jimmy Pitt, after X rays were taken. The 3-year-old was bought by a syndicate for $1,250,000 last spring.

Puissant Chef (15.10 new francs for 1) charged from behind a tight pack on the final turn in the Prix de l'Arc de Triompheat Paris and galloped home three lengths ahead of Hautain to win 539,342 new francs ($114,000). With Maxime Garcia up, the 3-year-old ran the 2,400 meters (about 1½ miles) in 2:43.9. The Aga Khan's heavily favored Charlottesville finished sixth. Owner Henry Aubert immediately accepted an invitation for Puissant Chef to the Washington, D.C. International on November 11.

Carry Back ($14.60) won the $96,300 Cowdin Stakes by 1½ lengths over Globemaster, 7 furlongs in 1:24, at Belmont. Bill Hartack up.

Don Poggio ($10) won the $56,700 Manhattan Handicap, by 3 lengths over Amber Morn, 1½ m. in 2:29 3/5, at Belmont. The Argentine bred 4-year-old was ridden by Sammy Boulmetis. CHUFQUEN broke away in the final three-quarters of a mile and romped home four lengths ahead of Ballybrittas in the International Gold Cup at the Rolling Rock hunt at Ligonier, Pa. With Patty Smithwick up, Chufquen ran the 2½ miles over bush in 5:09 2/5.

MOTOR SPORTS—STIRLING MOSS of England took the lead away from world champion driver Jack Brabham of Australia near the halfway mark and went on to win the 230-mile Formula Libre road race at Watkins Glen, N.Y. Moss averaged 105.8 mph, set a lap record of 109 mph in a Lotus Formula I.

TRACK & FIELD—In an international meet between an overseas Olympic team and West Africa at Lagos, Nigeria, BO ROBERSON, Olympic silver medal winner from Cornell, won the broad jump with 24 feet 6 inches. BILL ALLEY of Kansas University took the javelin throw with a toss of 232 feet. MAX TRUEX of Southern California won the 5,000 meters in 14:16.4, lost the 1,500 meters to Australia's TOW BLUE, who ran it in 3:51.5. Nigeria's J. OMAGBEMI won the 100 meters in 10.4.

WEIGHT LIFTING—STEPAN ULANOV, Russia's bantamweight champion, bettered his own world record with a lift of 113 kilograms (248.6 pounds).

MILEPOSTS—FIRED: BOB ELLIOTT, manager of the Kansas City Athletics, and his entire coaching staff of Don Heffner, Fred Fitzsimmons and Walker Cooper. This past season the Athletics lost more games than any major league team and finished 39 games out of first place.

HIRED: JOE GORDON, who resigned as manager of the Detroit Tigers two days earlier, as manager of the Kansas City Athletics. Gordon signed a two-year contract at an estimated $35,000 a year.

NAMED: ARNOLD PALMER, 31, as the PGA 1960 professional golfer-of-the-year. Out of 1,217 votes cast by golf professionals and newsmen Palmer received 1,088, highest total in 13 years of balloting. Jay Hebert was second with 52 votes.

RETIRED: GORDON BROWN, after 10 seasons as lineman for the Calgary Stampeders of the Western Football Conference. In 10 seasons Brown never missed a game, played in 203 games in all.

DIED: HOWARD GLENN, 25, of Vancouver, Wash., offensive guard for the New York Titans, following game with the Houston Oilers at Houston. Not noticeably hurt during the game, Glenn became hysterical and went into a stupor afterward, died about an hour later.