Publish date:

For The Record

WON The World Cup overall title, in his first full season since
returning from an accident that nearly cost him a leg, Hermann
Maier. In August 2001 a car hit Maier as he rode his motorcycle
in his native Austria, leaving him on the verge of kidney failure
and with a right leg so badly shattered that it almost needed to
be amputated. The former bricklayer, who had won the world title
in 1998, 2000 and '01, returned to the slopes in 2003, winning
the Super G at Kitzbuhel in only his fourth race back, and this
season he battled fellow Austrians Benjamin Raich and Stephan
Eberharter as well as Bode Miller of the U.S. for the title. With
a slim lead in the overall standings, Maier won the Super G at
the Kandahar course in Italy last Friday, skiing what he said was
"a perfect race, my best race after my comeback." When Saturday's
giant slalom was called off because of fog, the 31-year-old
clinched the title. (Miller, who had an outside shot at the
overall title, could take solace in becoming the first American
male in 21 years to win the giant slalom season title.) "It is
amazing," Maier said. "At the start of the season my goal was to
finish the season. So you can imagine how surprised I am."

ALLEGED By her owners, that Kerri, a champion Doberman pinscher,
was drugged to keep her from competing in the world's largest dog
show. Clive and Nancy Evans believe that the 22-month-old Kerri,
who was named Britain's top Doberman bitch last year, was given
meat laced with sedatives at the Crufts show in Birmingham,
England, on March 6. "She was uncoordinated, listless and
lethargic," Clive said. "We believe that someone is trying to
knock us off the top of the ladder. These incidents have happened
in the breed before. This is how competitive it is." Kerri
recovered, and the show's veterinarian said while Kerri showed
signs of sedation, there was no conclusive evidence she had been

MET On the cricket ground for the first time in 15 years, India
and Pakistan. As recently as 2002 the cricket-mad countries were
on the verge of a possible nuclear war. But in January they
agreed to hold peace talks to discuss terrorism, weapons and the
disputed province of Kashmir, and last Saturday they played the
first of five one-day games in front of a capacity crowd of
33,000 in the Pakistani city of Karachi. The wicket diplomacy
caused life in both countries to grind to a halt, as 600 million
people were expected to watch on TV. They weren't disappointed.
India won by five runs in the highest-scoring one-day
international match ever, one that ended with the Pakistani crowd
hailing the victorious Indian team with a standing ovation. "It
can't get better than this," said Pakistan Cricket Board chief
executive Ramiz Raja after the match. "Cricket was certainly
poorer without an India-Pakistan contest, and we are determined
to make up for time lost."