40 Beating the Red Wings
The Predators are measuring up to archrival Detroit, their first obstacle in a Cup run
by Michael Farber
44 Sammy's Whammy
Texas believes Sammy Sosa has enough of that old bat magic to make a difference
by Chris Ballard
48 Me First! No, Me!
Over the next eight weeks two quarterbacks will jockey for the top spot in the NFL draft
by Peter King
54 The Program
In the new Gilded Age of college sports, no school has done more with its money—or learned more from painful scandal—than mighty Ohio State
by L. Jon Wertheim
• SI On Campus Poll: Students' views on jock culture
• The widening gap between Division I powers and paupers
• The new academic measuring stick has brought anxiety
• An ex--Missouri football star tries to cope without a degree
• Women's basketball is the latest pressure cooker
• Do sports hinder players' moral reasoning abilities?
• The Athlete's Bill of Rights: The workers deserve more in a multibillion-dollar industry
6 Leading Off
15 From the Editor
First Person: Jarome Iginla
A farewell to Dennis Johnson
Escaping the Gonzaga Syndrome
Kareem recalls his SI covers
34 Faces in the Crowd
76 Life of Reilly
The kid who hit a pair of shots from the charity stripe without a drop of charity in them
by Rick Reilly
72 College Basketball
Army recruits the right coach
Wisconsin suffers a blow
73 The NBA
Why Boston is stuck in reverse
Scout: the East's new beast
A late bloomer eyes the Chase
Matt Kenseth's perfect weekend
PHOTOGRAPH BY AL TIELEMANS
INSET PHOTOS: Peter Read Miller (Sosa); Todd Rosenberg (Quinn and Russell); Damian Strohmeyer (Northwestern); John Rieger/US Presswire (Missouri); Larry Levanti (College of New Jersey)
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, go to sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
ON THE WEB
SPORTS IN REAL TIME. ALL THE TIME. ALL FREE. CUSTOMIZED ACCESS TO ANY FOUR OF YOUR FAVORITE TEAMS. HD-QUALITY PHOTOS. STREAMING VIDEO. THE BEST NEWS AND ANALYSIS ON THE WEB.
How many QBs besides JaMarcus Russell are likely to go in round 1? See the mock draft at SI.com/nfl.
Check out the projected seeding of Bob Knight's Red Raiders and others at SI.com/collegehoops.
Get Ian Thomsen's take on Kobe Bryant and the rest of the league four times a week at SI.com/nba.
Watch Jenn Sterger's latest road trip, Rick Reilly's Riffs, Seth Davis's Madness '07 and other video at SI.com.
Read an excerpt of the epilogue to Game of Shadows, the Barry Bonds saga, at SI.com/baseball.
How far will fans go to support their teams? You can tell by their sports tattoos at SI.com/photos.
1. Five-time All-Star Dennis Johnson has fatal heart attack
2. Brady Quinn could be the key variable in draft's first round
3. The Falcons' Babineaux arrested for animal abuse
4. Griffey explains broken hand
5. Swimsuit 2008 suggestions
1. Stewart Mandel on the bizarre events that have Houston Nutt fighting to keep his job
2. With or without Roger Clemens, Astros are fired up
3. Frank Deford on gay athletes
4. Media Power Rankings
5. NASCAR Power Rankings
ONLY AT SI.COM
Check out our selections at SI.com/editorspix.
Pick your favorite NBA team and get news from across the Web and photos on your desktop at SI.com/mySI.
DAVID E. KLUTHO (PREDATORS)
¬†40SETTING THE TABLE Predators center Peter Forsberg (left) and goalie TomasVokoun relaxed by playing Ping-Pong last Friday; the next night they netted awin over Detroit to move into first place.
AL TIELEMANS (OHIO STATE)
DAVID BERGMAN (ARMY)
72 ONE MAN'S ARMY After the death of Maggie Dixon, former assistant Dave Magarity has taken charge at West Point.
BOB ROSATO (RUSSELL)
DARREN CARROLL (KNIGHT)
JOHN W. MCDONOUGH (BRYANT)
MEL LEVINE (STERGER)
BRAD MANGIN (BONDS)
KIRBY LEE/WIREIMAGE.COM (FAN)
ROBERT BECK (QUINN)