Skip to main content
Original Issue

A roundup of the sports information of the week

FOOTBALL—Leaving the East limp after nine straight victories, Syracuse flew to California and took the starch out of UCLA with 36-8 victory, left little doubt on previously skeptical West Coast that it is country's outstanding team. In all, Syracuse ran off 350 yards rushing, held a spirited and trying UCLA to minus 13 on the ground. In the Eastern NAIA playoffs at Hickory, N.C., Lenoir Rhyne slammed the door on Southern Connecticut, clicked off four touchdowns in first period, added three more for 47-20 victory. Lenoir Rhyne will play Texas A&I. which defeated Hillsdale 20-0 at Kingsville, Texas, in Western NAIA playoff, in the Holiday Bowl at St. Petersburg, Fla., December 19.

FISHING—Cecil Hulbert of Spokane pulled in the biggest rainbow trout of the decade when he boated 36-pound 8-ounce beauty on Lake Pend Oreille near Sandpoint, Idaho. His trout was only a half pound under the world record catch, made in 1947. It took Hulbert a scant 15 minutes to land his fish, three hours to get it to a government-tested scale for weighing. According to one biologist the fish lost at least a pound because of the delay.

BOXING—One and 48/50th champions engaged in title fights and neither challenger came near knocking their crowns, much less their blocks, off. Gene Fullmer, middleweight champ of all but New York and Massachusetts, where Sugar Ray Robinson serenely reigns, took on Spider Webb at Logan, Utah. Webb fought with diligence and grace, not enough to cope with the rousing thumps, thwacks, lunges and clomping retreats which make up Fullmer's outrageous, original style. Although beaten after 15 rounds, Webb made more of a fight of it than at least two of the officials gave him credit for. Earlier in the week Lightweight Champ Joe Brown defeated Dave Charnley, a sturdy, earnest young Englishman, at Houston. Charnley, a left-hander, fought with a jingly step and a tentative punch while Brown, sprightly on old, spindly legs, jabbed him with preposterous ease until Charnley suffered a nasty cut, and the fight was stopped at the conclusion of the fifth round. "It was like taking candy from a baby," admitted Brown. TV fans, who missed the end because of an ill-timed commercial, drowsily agreed.