Publish date:

A roundup of the sports information of the week


BOATING—WINSOME III, 36-foot sloop owned by Ches Rickard of the Royal Vancouver YC and skippered by Bonar Davis, battled tricky tides, shifty winds and some of the toughest sailing skippers on the continent to win the 133-mile Swiftsure Lightship classic off Seattle with a corrected time of 26:20:50. Winsome is the second Canadian boat to win the race in 31 years. Another Canadian boat, Troubadour, finished first in 34:31:20 to become the first Canadian boat to win that category.

Coral, 31-foot sloop owned and skippered by Joe Esherick, sailed off with the 125-mile Buckner Cup race off San Francisco over 23 other boats with a corrected time of 16:30:06. First in was Emmett Rixford's Annie Too, in an elapsed time of 19:20:20.

BOXING—EMILE GRIFFITH, making his first defense of the welterweight title he won in April, out-slugged Gaspar Ortega in Los Angeles bout, won by a KO when Referee Tommy Hart stopped the fight in the 12th round. Griffith knocked Ortega to the canvas twice in the seventh, but the game Mexican, bleeding from cuts over both eyes and his nose, carried on for five more rounds.

Johnny Caldwell, England's flyweight champion, added Europe's bantamweight title to his growing list with a 15-round decision over France's Alphonse Halimi in London.

CYCLING—BOB McKOWN of Maiden. Mass., 21-year-old pipe organ repairman, won the 50-mile Tour of Somerville (N.J.), set a national speed record in the process, finishing in two hours and 16.6 seconds.

GOLF—SAM SNEAD shot four subpar rounds to win both the individual and team championships for the U.S. at the Canada Cup Matches in Dorado Beach, P.R. (see page 65). Snead shot a 272 to beat Australia's Peter Thomson by eight strokes for the individual title. Snead and Jimmy Demaret took the team title with a combined 560, 12 strokes under Thomson and Kel Nagle.

Home-town favorite CARY MIDDLECOFF finished with a 3-under-par 67 to win the $30,000 Memphis Open and set a tournament record of 266. Tied for second were Gardner Dickinson and Mike Souchak, at 271.

HARNESS RACING—SU MAC LAD ($3) trotted off with his seventh straight race, winning by a nose over Silver Song in the $25,000 Vanguard free-for-all trot at Roosevelt. The 7-year-old gelding, driven by Stanley Dancer, covered the mile in 2:01.

Adios Butler ($3.50) started from the rail, took the lead and held it to win easily the $25,000 Miracle Mile pace at Roosevelt over Tar Boy by 1¼ lengths. Australia's Apmat was third, and New Zealand-bred False Step, who beat Adios Butler the week before, was sixth. With Eddie Cobb driving, the 5-year-old pacer covered the distance in 2:00 2/5.

HORSE RACING—SHERLUCK ($132.10) held on to second place behind Globemaster into the stretch, then took the lead to win the $148,650 Belmont Stakes by 2½ lengths (see pane 32). Guadalcanal was third, and Carry Back, seeking the Triple Crown, was seventh. Jacob Sher's dark bay colt, ridden by Braulio Baeza, ran the 1½ miles in 2:29 1/5.

Ambiopoise ($14.20) galloped home 10 lengths in front of Fred W. Hooper's Crozier in the $124,000 Jersey Derby at Garden State Park. Globemaster was third and Sherluck. who four days later won the Belmont Stakes, finished fourth. Robert Lehman's 3-year-old colt ran the 1‚⅛ miles in 1:49 1/5 under Bobby Ussery.

Kelso ($4.10) came from seventh place on the stretch turn to win the $114,000 Metropolitan Handicap at Aqueduct by a neck over Cain Hoy Stable's All Hands. With Eddie Arcaro up. the 4-year-old, owned by Mrs. Richard C. du Pont, ran the mile in 1:35 3/5.

Psidium, a 66-to-1 shot, surged through the middle with 100 yards to go and took the lead to win the 182nd English Derby at Epsom Downs by two lengths over French-owned Dicta Drake. Pardao, owned by Mrs. C. O. Iselin of Glen Head, N.Y., was third. The chestnut colt, ridden by Roger Poincelet, won the 1½-mile race in 2:36 2/5. Four days later Jockey Poincelet made it a double by winning the French Derby at Chantilly near Paris on RIGHT ROYAL, by three lengths over Match. Right Royal's time for the 1½ miles was 2:31 1/5. Also at Epsom last week, SWEET SOLERA won the Oaks to complete the British 3-year-old fillies' double, and the Aga Khan's mare, PETITE ETOILE, outran Sir Winston Churchill's colt, Vienna, to win the Coronation Cup for the second straight year.

HORSE SHOW—Natchez, a chestnut gelding owned by R. B. Snyder Stables of Denver (Pa.), won the John Wanamaker Stake at the DEVON (Pa.) show. Under Rider Allen Garner, Natchez took a jump-off with one fault over Patrick Butler's gray gelding Blue Bird, with 2½ faults. Donegal, owned by David Kelley of Armonk, N.Y. and ridden by Frank Chapot, won the Federation Equestre Internationale Puissance Stake after four jump-offs. Grey Aero, owned by the Frank Imperatore Motor Company, and Jayber, leased by Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Hall Jr., tied for second.

MOTOR SPORTS—A.J. FOYT JR. of Houston pushed his Bowes Seal Fast Special up to an average 139.130 mph to set a record and win the Indianapolis "500" by 8.28 seconds over Eddie Sachs (see page 24).

Stirling Moss, driving a Lotus, averaged 91.78 mph to take handily 200-mile race for Grand Prix cars in Brandis Hatch, England. Britain's Jim Clark was second in a Lotus, 10 seconds behind Moss.

TRACK & FIELD—Texas Southern scored 49 points to edge out Tennessee A&I's Ralph Boston and take the NAIA CHAMPIONSHIP in Sioux Falls, S.D. Boston, who collected all 47 of Tennessee A&I's points, won the 120-yard high hurdles (13.7), the 220-yard low hurdles (23.2), the broad jump (25 feet 6½ inches), the hop. step and jump (48 feet 10¾ inches for a meet record) and tied for second in the high jump (6 feet 7 inches). In a 100-yard-dash preliminary, Robert Hayes of Florida A&M tied the world record at 9.3 (he later won the event with a 9.5), then ran the 220 in 21 seconds to tie a meet record. Other meet records were set by Walter Johnson of North Carolina College, with a 46.3 in the 440; Fred Shaffer of Whitworth (Wash.) College, with a discus toss of 185 feet 1½ inches; Oddvar Helgeson of North Dakota State, with a 9:22.8 for 3,000-meter steeplechase; Major Adams of Texas Southern, with a 1:50.8 for 880; and a shotput record of 55 feet 7½ inches by Tonv Conkle of La Verne (Calif.) College.

Carlo Lievore of Italy outdistanced the world javelin record by more than two feet in Milan with a toss of 284 feet 7 inches. Lievore made his record throw on his second try, using a javelin he bought from a French athlete.

Bruce Kidd, 17-year-old Canadian high school runner, set an American record for three miles in the 5,000-meter run at the Compton (Calif.) invitation meet (see page 70). Kidd was timed in 13:26.6, bettering by more than a second the 13:28 set by Jim Beatty and Laszlo Tabori last year. Another high schooler, Tommy Sullivan of Evanston, Ill., in a remarkable 4:03.5 mile, bettered the national scholastic record as he finished second to Jim Grelle of Southern California Striders, timed in 4:02.7.

Luther Hayes of Southern California set a national collegiate record of 51 feet 9¼ inches in the hop. step and jump at the Big Five meet in Stanford, Calif.

Otis Davis, U.S. Olympic 400-meter champion, dashed the 300 meters in 32.7 to set a new American record in Portland, Ore.

MILEPOSTS—NAMED: LARRY WEISE, 24, high school physics teacher and basketball coach, to succeed Eddie Donovan (now with the New York Knickerbockers) as head basketball coach at St. Bonaventure. Weise, a Bonaventure star from 1955-58, was one of the creators of the "nervous defense," a defensive press that helped the Bonnics reach a high national ranking.

NAMED: DOUG HARVEY, 36, top defenseman for the Montreal Canadiens and best back-rink guardian in hockey, as player-coach of the wayward New York Rangers.

SUSPENDED: NATIONAL BASKETBALL LEAGUE, for at least one year, after New York Tuck Tapers pulled out of the league because of the current basketball scandals. "Recent scandals," said League President George Kolowich, "have created a recruiting hazard for the corporations in our league."

RETIRED: PAUL GIEL, 28, former All-America football halfback and baseball pitcher for University of Minnesota in 1952 and '53, from major league baseball, after first being traded from the Minnesota Twins to the Kansas City Athletics. In his first game for the A's, Giel lasted 1 2/3 innings, allowed seven runs and six hits.

DIED: JOSÉ RIGORES, 25, Cuban featherweight boxer, knocked out in a preliminary bout in New York. Rigores, a Havana policeman who escaped to the U.S. after being jailed by Fidel Castro last year, collapsed in his dressing room following the bout with Anselmo Castillo, was rushed to a hospital for emergency brain surgery but died five days later without regaining consciousness.