Skip to main content
Original Issue

A roundup of the sports information of the week

BASKETBALL—BOSTON crushed San Francisco four games to one to gain its sixth straight NBA championship (see page 81). The Celtics won the second game 124-101, but two nights later Wilt Chamberlain threw in 35 to lead the Warriors to their only victory, 115-91. After that it was all Celtics as they held San Francisco below 100 points twice to take the final two games 98-95 and 105-99.

BOXING—Tenth-ranked Lightweight FRANKIE NARVAEZ of New York extended his unbeaten streak to 13 with a unanimous 10-round decision over Vicente Derado of Argentina at New York's Sunnyside Garden.

Harold Johnson of Philadelphia, first-ranking light heavyweight, outboxed Hank Casey for seven rounds and knocked him out in the eighth with a top-of-the-head smash in a Santa Monica, Calif. fight. It was Johnson's 72nd victory in 81 bouts and the first KO suffered by Casey in his 40 appearances.

GOLF—Australia's BRUCE CRAMPTON, who was buried in a tie for 16th after 54 holes, unexpectedly emerged with a five-under-par 65 in the final round to win the $40,000 Texas Open in San Antonio with a 273.

Defending Champion MARILYNN SMITH of Jupiter, Fla. jumped into the second-round lead with a six-under-par 66 and went on to take her second straight LPGA Titleholders Championship with a tournament record 289 for 72 holes on the Augusta (Ga.) Country Club course.

Phyllis (Tish) Preuss, 25, of Pompano Beach, Fla., did not lose a single hole in the final round as she defeated Mrs. George Trainor of Rochester 7 and 6 for the North and South Women's Amateur Championship in Pinehurst, N.C.

HARNESS RACING—Herschel Quillen Sr.'s 5-year-old ADORA'S DREAM ($8.70), driven by Joe O'Brien, streaked up on the rail in the stretch to take the $25,000 Bye Bye Byrd Pace at Roosevelt Raceway by a neck from Overtrick, last year's champion 3-year-old, who was making his first start.

HOCKEY—TORONTO won the Stanley Cup for the third consecutive year by defeating Detroit four games to three in one of the most closely contested playoffs in NHL history (see page 89). The Red Wings took the fifth game 2-1 for a one-game series edge, but the Maple Leafs came back to win the sixth 4-3 in overtime on a goal by Bobby Baun, and then overwhelmed the Red Wings 4-0 in the final.

In the American Hockey League the CLEVELAND BARONS who, like the Maple Leafs, had finished third in the season standings (Western Division), skated off with the Calder Cup, and in the process won nine straight playoff games. The Barons eliminated the Rochester Americans in two games, the Hershey (Pa.) Bears in three, and then took four in succession from the Eastern Division Champion Quebec Aces to win the Calder Cup playoffs for the first time since 1957.

HORSE RACING—In their final warmup tests for the Kentucky Derby, E. P. Taylor's NORTHERN DANCER ($2.40), ridden by Bill Hartack, won the 1‚⅛-mile Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland, and Roy Sturgis' MR. BRICK ($4.20), guided by Ismael Valenzuela, took the seven-furlong Stepping Stone purse at Churchill Downs by half a length over The Scoundrel (see page 26).

W. H. Perry's KNIGHTLY MANNER ($8.20), Don Pierce aboard, nosed out Calumet Farm's favored Kentucky Jug to win the $28,450 Chesapeake Stakes for 3-year-olds at Laurel, Md. The winner will not go to Kentucky, but the Calumet colt might make the trip.

In his first start of the year, Mrs. J. Deaver Alexander's SAIDAM ($8.40), a 5-year-old chestnut trained by Max Hirsch and ridden by Manuel Ycaza, galloped to a four-length victory over Mongo in the $82,350 Grey Lag Handicap at Aqueduct, leaving the favorite, Gun Bow, eight lengths behind, in fifth place. It was the fifth Grey Lag victory for Hirsch, 83, who trained the handicap's first champion, Dit, in 1941, and Assault, the 1947 winner. He also was the breeder of Hirsch Jacobs' Stymie, who took the race in 1945 and 1946.

Mrs. Mary C. Stephenson's JAY TRUMP became the first horse in 18 years to sweep the three-race Maryland Timber circuit when Crompton Smith Jr. guided him to a six-length victory in the four-mile, 22-fence Maryland Hunt Cup point-to-point race at Glyndon, Md. What's more, he is only the second horse in history to accomplish the feat (Stuart S. Janney's Winton did it in 1942 and again in 1946).

TENNIS—Davis Cupper FRANK FROEHLING of Coral Gables, Fla. edged Ham Richardson of Dallas 6-4, 6-4 for the men's title at the Dallas Country Club Invitational tournament. Both players had scored upset victories in the semifinals, as Froehling beat Roy Emerson 6-4, 6-4 and Richardson defeated Chuck McKinley 6-3, 6-2.

TRACK & FIELD—For the second year in a row AURELE VANDENDRIESSCHE, a 31-year-old study master at a Waregem, Belgium trade school, led the field in the Boston Marathon. His winning time for the 26-mile 385-yard event was 2:19:59. Finland's Tenho Salakka was second in 2:20:48, while Hal Higdon, a Chicago free-lance writer and the U.S. 20-km. record-holder, placed fifth in 2:21:55 for the best American finish.

In Walnut, Calif. at the Mount San Antonio Relays (see page 36), New Yorker AL OERTER heaved the discus 206 feet 6 inches to shatter his own world record by more than a foot, and World Champion C.K. YANG came from behind with a 15-foot 9¾-inch pole vault to win the decathlon with 8,043 points. A third world record-holder, DALLAS LONG, put the shot 63 feet 10¼ inches to take his specialty. At the Drake Relays in Des Moines, 18-year-old Texas A&M freshman RANDY MATSON tossed the shot 64 feet 1 inch to break Long's five-year-old NCAA freshman mark by six inches. GAYLE HOPKINS, a 164-pound Arizona senior, broad-jumped 26 feet 2 inches to better by¼ inch Jesse Owens' 1935 mark, the oldest Drake Relays record. Hopkins also spanned 51 feet 8 inches to win the triple jump and was named the meet's most outstanding athlete. In Philadelphia VILLANOVA swept four of the eight team titles at the Penn Relays to become the third school in the meet's 70-year history to win as many major relays (Pittsburgh in 1939 and Michigan in 1954 also took four). Villanova seniors Vic Zwolak and Tom Sullivan each ran in three of the relays (NCAA Cross Country Champion Zwolak also won the 3,000-meter steeplechase). Florida A&M's BOB HAYES overcame a head cold, weather too cool for his liking and a soft, choppy track to sprint 100 yards and 220 yards (around a curve) in meet-record times of 9.3 and 20.6.

MILEPOSTS—DIED: EDDIE DYER, 63, manager of the 1946 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals, after a long illness, in Houston. Dyer, a friendly man who was respected by opposing managers for his baseball knowledge and by his players for his honesty and sincerity, began his 29-year career in the St. Louis organization in 1922 as a left-handed pitcher (he shut out the Cubs in his first major league start). After a sore arm forced him to quit pitching in 1927, Dyer became a player-manager in the Cardinal farm system (he batted over .300 six straight seasons as an outfielder). He was named minor league Manager of the Year in 1942 after leading the Houston Buffs to three Texas League pennants in a row (1939-41), and in his first year as a major league manager Dyer guided the Cardinals to the pennant (they beat the Dodgers in the first major league play-off) and defeated the Red Sox in the World Series, four games to three. After the Cardinals came in fifth in 1950, following three consecutive second-place finishes, Dyer retired from baseball to go into business in Houston.

DIED: Greentree Stable's SHUT OUT, 25, who won both the Kentucky Derby and Belmont Stakes in 1942 and earned $317,507 in four seasons of racing, of old age, in Lexington, Ky.