Skip to main content
Original Issue

A roundup of the sports information of the week

BOWLING—BILLY WELU of St. Louis became the second ABC Masters champion to successfully defend his title when he advanced through the losers' bracket and gained 778-735 and 832-782 victories over Don Ellis of Houston in the finals.

BOXING—Heavyweight Champion CASSIUS CLAY, defending his title for the first time, knocked out Challenger Sonny Liston with a swift, hard right to the jaw in the first two minutes of their scheduled 15-rounder at Lewiston, Me. (page 22).

World Flyweight Champion SALVATORE BUR-RUNI of Italy, fighting for the first time since he won the title from Pone Kingpetch of Thailand last month, knocked out Francisco Perez Berdonces of Spain in the eighth round of a scheduled 10-rounder at Frosinone, Italy.

GOLF—Australia's BRUCE CRAMPTON became the first to win three tournaments on the PGA tour this season when he shot a 279 to finish one stroke ahead of Jacky Cupit and Lionel Hebert in the $87,000 Speedway Festival Open in Indianapolis.

Charlie Ward, 53, former British Ryder Cup player, won the British Senior Golf Tournament and qualified to meet Sam Snead for the world senior title, July 4 in Lancashire, England. Ward shot a 66-73-71 for a 54-hole total of 210 to edge another Ryder Cup player, Dai Rees, by two strokes.

HARNESS RACING—Undefeated BRET HANOVER ($2.20), guided by Frank Ervin, made the $35,800 Commodore Pace at Roosevelt Raceway his 27th straight victory as he defeated Adios Vic by three-fourths of a length in track record time for 3-year-old pacers of 1:59 2/5.

Big John ($16.40), runner-up in last year's Hambletonian to Triple Crown winner Ayres, spoiled the little bay's 1965 debut by taking the first leg of the $112,910 Harness Tracks of America Trot at Rose-croft in Oxon Hill, Md.

HORSE RACING—Entered late by her owner, Howell E. Jackson, who paid a $7,500 supplementary fee, CORDIALLY ($12.50), ridden by Braulio Baeza, nosed out What A Treat to win the $97,200 Mother Goose, the second leg of New York's Triple Crown for Fillies, at Aqueduct. Ground Control, the winner of the Acorn (first part of the filly series), finished fifth.

MOTOR SPORTS—For the third year in a row, GRAHAM HILL of Great Britain won the Monaco Grand Prix for Formula I cars as he drove his BRM over the 195[2/5]-mile course at an average speed of 74.34 mph in 2:37:39.6. Italy's Lorenzo Bandini, driving a Ferrari, finished 1 minute and 4 seconds behind Hill, while Scotland's Jackie Stewart came in third in a BRM. World Champion John Surtees of Britain ran out of fuel on the last lap.

Jimmy Clark of Scotland won the Indianapolis 500 at a record average speed of 150.686 mph. Parnelli Jones finished second, rookie Mario Andretti third.

Ned Jarrett of Camden, S.C., driving a 1965 Ford, whisked into the lead on the 176th lap of the 200-lap, 100-mile NASCAR Grand National stock car race at Shelby, N.C. and breezed home 22 laps ahead of runner-up Bud Moore of Charleston, S.C. Three days later Jarrett won the 100-mile NASCAR Grand National at Harris, N.C. for his sixth Grand National victory this season.

TENNIS—Five times a finalist at Wimbledon, Italy, Australia and Forest Hills but never a winner, FRED STOLLE finally gained his first major championship by taking the all-Australian men's singles final of the French championships in Paris. After a disastrous first set in which he made 26 errors, Stolle rallied to defeat Tony Roche 3-6, 6-0, 6-2, 6-3. Australia's LESLEY TURNER won the women's singles with 6-3 and 6-4 upset victories over last year's titlist, Margaret Smith, also of Australia.

Sweden's JAN ERIK LUNDQUIST defeated British Davis Cupper Roger Taylor 9-7 and 6-3 in the finals 10 win the men's singles title of the Surrey tennis championships. CHRISTINE TRUMAN of England took the women's title with 7-5 and 6-1 victories over Rita Bentley, also of England.

TRACK & FIELD—At the California Relays, two new world records were set by the same men who established the old ones. RALPH BOSTON leaped 27 feet 5 inches in the broad jump to better his year-old mark by three-fourths of an inch, and HAL CONNOLLY, a Santa Monica, Calif. schoolteacher, extended the hammer-throw record to 233 feet 2 inches, exceeding by 1 foot 4 inches the 231-foot 10-inch mark he set three years ago. Boston set his record on his fifth and final jump, Connolly on his fourth throw. SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (Baton Rouge, La.) equaled the world mile relay record set by Arizona State in 1963 with a 3:04.5 clocking (freshmen Robert Johnson 47.3, Anthony Gates 46.1, Everett Mason 46.0 and junior Theron Lewis 45.1). JIM RYUN, the 18-year-old schoolboy from East Wichita, Kans., was forced to run a 3:58.1 mile, his fastest ever, to win that event by inches from John Garrison, 21, a former San Jose State half miler, who finished with an identical time. Jim Grelle was third, and Josef Odlozil, Czechoslovakia's Olympic silver medalist, fourth, both in 3:58.2. Another teen-ager, 17-year-old RICHMOND FLOWERS JR. of Montgomery, Ala., startled a field of veterans with a winning 13.9 in the 120-yard high hurdles, RON CLARKE of Australia ran the year's fastest two-mile (8:32.0), and in the 440-yard hurdles REX CAWLEY bettered by 3/10 of a second his old meet mark of 51.5.

Mike Cole collected 13 points in the broad jump and dashes to lead MARYLAND to its first IC4A outdoor track-and-field championship and break Villanova's five-year hold on the title. Maryland, with Cole finishing first in the broad jump and second in the 100-and 220-yard dashes, gained 46 points at the New Brunswick, N.J. meet. Villanova, the winner seven of the last eight years and favored over this year's 52 other entrants, was close behind with 43. Meet records were set by Maryland's RUSS WHITE in the javelin throw (241 feet½ inch), JOHN BAKKENSEN of Harvard in the discus (173 feet 8 inches), LARRY FURNELL of St. John's in the three-mile run (13:50.6) and BILL NORRIS of Boston College in the 3,000-meter steeplechase (9:16.3), while Harvard's TONY LYNCH equaled the meet mark in the 440-yard hurdles (51.5).

Randy Matson, Texas A&M's record-holding shotputter (70 feet 7 inches), won his event with a 66-foot½-inch heave at the Southern Federation Championships in Houston, Texas. He attributed his subpar performance to the weight he lost studying for final examinations the last two weeks. "I usually throw at 258 pounds," Matson said. "In Houston I only weighed 245 to 248."

MILEPOSTS—NAMED: The American Hockey League's Most Valuable Player, Center ART STRATTON of the Buffalo Bisons, who led the league in scoring with 109 points the past season. RAY CULLEN, a 23-year-old center for the Bisons, was selected as the AHL's Rookie of the Year.

SOLD: By Baltimore Orioles' Chairman of the Board JOSEPH IGLEHART, his majority stock (about 64,000 shares) in the club to Orioles' Treasurer Zanvyl Krieger and the National Brewing Co. The sale gave National—whose president, Jerold Hoffberger, is a Baltimore director—controlling interest of the ball team. Iglehart, also the owner of approximately $1.7 million worth of Columbia Broadcasting System stock when CBS bought the Yankees last year (SI, May 24), will be replaced at the next Baltimore board meeting on June 11.

TRADED: By the Chicago Bears, Fullback RICK CASARES, 33, and Place-kicker BOB JENCKS, 23, to the Washington Redskins in exchange for Tackle RILEY MATTSON, 26, and Center FRED HAGEMAN, 27. Casares, a 10-year veteran in the NFL, holds the Chicago Bears' ground-gaining record with 5,657 yards in 1,386 carries.

TRADED: By Detroit Red Wing General Manager Sid Abel, who had said he would shake up his NHL championship team, Defensemen AL LANGLOIS and RON HARRIS along with Forwards PARKER MACDONALD and BOB DILLABOUGH to last-place Boston in exchange for Forward AB MCDONALD and Defensemen BOB McCORD and KEN STEPHANSON. It was the Red Wings' second major deal in two weeks.

DIED: Outfielder EARL WEBB, 65, the major league record holder for two-base hits in one season, in Jamestown, Tenn. Webb, who hit 67 doubles for the Boston Red Sox in 1931, compiled a .306 lifetime batting average over seven major league seasons with five different teams.

DIED: The Coach of Texas A&M's 1939 national championship team, HOMER NORTON, 69, of a heart attack in College Station, Texas. Norton, whose record at Texas A&M was 82-53-9 for 14 seasons (1934-1947), led the undefeated Aggies (10-0) into the 1940 Sugar Bowl, where they defeated Tulane 14-13 on All-America Fullback John Kimbrough's two touchdowns. The next two years Norton's Aggies played in the Cotton Bowl and split their two games.