Skip to main content
Original Issue

A roundup of the sports information of the week

BOXING—"It's a good thing you play strings instead of winds, because I'm going to hit you in the mouth," said New Yorker Doug Jones to his guitar-playing opponent, Chicago's ERNIE TERRELL, before their heavyweight bout in Houston. Jones's bark was worse than his right, though, and the pair slogged through 15 tedious rounds as Terrell, the World Boxing Association's heavyweight champion, won a unanimous decision (he lost two rounds because of low blows). The crowd booed and yelled, "Bring on the Cat," referring to Houston's CLEVELAND WILLIAMS, who provided the evening's only ring excitement in the scheduled 10-round semifinal when he scored a TKO over Tod Herring, also of Houston, in 25 seconds of the third round. It was the fourth straight victory for Williams.

In Reno ZORA FOLLEY scored the 41st knockout of his career over Jeff Davis of Las Vegas at 1:31 of the eighth round. Folley said he had been promised a bout with the Terrell-Jones winner.

Denver's CHARLES (Sonny) LISTON began a comeback campaign in Stockholm, knocking out West Germany's Gerhard Zech with a left-right combination in 1:11 of the seventh round. It was Liston's first fight since his 1:57 knockout by Clay in their bout in May 1965, at Lewiston, Me. "I felt very good at the end," said Sonny.

FENCING—PAUL PESTHY of the New York Athletic Club won his second national amateur épée title, completing the final round without a loss in the Amateur Fencers League of America tournament in Brooklyn, N.Y. The individual saber championship went to AL MORALES, who also led his NYAC group to the team saber title. The individual foil title was won by MAX GEUTER of Germany. The New York Fencers Club trio of Albert Axelrod, Herb Cohen and Marv Grafton defeated the Los Angeles club for the team foil crown. SALLE CSISZAR of Philadelphia won team épée.

GOLF—"I always thought someday it might be possible to beat Mickey Wright," said 29-year-old SANDY SPUZICH of Indianapolis, who shot a final round 72 for a 297 at Minneapolis' U.S. Women's Open, winning by one stroke over Carol Mann and two over Mickey, the four-time Open champion, who was third.

HARNESS RACING—NOBLE VICTORY ($5.80), recently syndicated for $1 million by Kenneth D. Owen of Houston, became the U.S. entry for this week's $100,000 International Trot at Roosevelt, winning Roosevelt's American Trotting Championship and equaling Speedy Scot's world record for 1¼ miles (2:31 2/5) on a half-mile track.

Elgin and C.E. Armstrong's 4-year-old filly ARMBRO FLIGHT earned the right to represent Canada in the International Trot when she won the Canadian Trotting Championship by 6½ lengths over Betsy Herbert at Garden City Raceway in St. Catharines, Ont. There was some doubt, however, that the mare would be entered in the Roosevelt race. Her driver, Joe O'Brien, said, "We will enter the International only if the owners insist." Elgin Armstrong later said, "if we do not go to New York it will be because we do not wish to risk racing her over the concrete track [a controversial surface called thermoplastic] now being used at Roosevelt."

HORSE RACING—SODIUM earned $146,459 for his owner, R.J. Sigtia of India, as he beat favored Charlottown, the English Derby winner, by a length to win the 1½-mile Irish Sweeps Derby in Curragh, Ireland. Paveh, a 100-8 shot owned by P.A.B. Widener of Philadelphia, was third.

Ridden by Manuel Ycaza, ALEXVILLE ($3.80), a 3-year-old colt owned by Mrs. A.I. Kissam scored his fourth victory in six starts this year, winning the $57,800 Saranac Handicap at Aqueduct by half a length over S. J. Lefrak's Flame Tree. Alexville's stablemate, Indulto, finished fourth, but was disqualified and placed last.

MOTOR SPORTS—Australia's JACK BRABHAM, who had already taken the Formula II race at Reims, France, gained first place in the world driver standings when he drove his Brabham-Repco to victory in the European Grand Prix, finishing 15 seconds ahead of Britain's Mike Parkes in a Ferrari.

ROWING—HARVARD's lightweights gave the U.S. its only victory in the Royal Henley Regatta on the Thames, defeating Britain's Isis Boat Club by three quarters of a length for the Thames Cup for eights. EAST GERMANY's crew swept five of the eight events. In the premier race for eights, the Grand Challenge Cup, East Berlin's Turn Und Sports Club was the winner. Turn Und Sports had upset Philadelphia's Vesper Boat Club, gold medal winner at the Tokyo Olympics, in the semifinals. The East Germans also took the single sculls, pair oars, double sculls and coxed fours.

TENNIS—MRS. BILLIE JEAN KING of Long Beach, Calif. and MANUEL SANTANA won the Wimbledon singles titles, beating Maria Bueno of Brazil and Californian Dennis Ralston (page 50). Other winners: JOHN NEWCOMBE-KEN FLETCHER, men's doubles; MISS BUENONANCY RICHEY, women's doubles; MARGARET SMITH-FLETCHER, mixed doubles; BILL TALBERT-GAR MULLOY, veteran's doubles.

TRACK & FIELD—The LONG BEACH (Calif.) COMETS' 880-yard relay team (Sue Tribole, Doreen Murrell, Daisy Booker, Louann Gilmore) set a new American record in national women's and girls' outdoor championships at Frederick, Md. Their 1:42.7 lowered the record set last year by the Atoms Track Club of New York by 5/10 second. Los Angeles' CHARLOTTE COOK, who had previously run the 880 in record time, set a new American mark with a 2:05. DENISE PASCHAL of San Francisco took 1/10 second off the American 50-yard hurdle record, winning in 6.5 seconds.

Kenya's KIPCHOGE KEINO, no slouch at the mile (his fastest performance is only 6/10 second over Michel Jazy's world record 3:53.6), won a seemingly slow race in 4:00.9, defeating his countryman Christantus Nyakwayo at an international meet in Nairobi, Kenya. However, the race was run at Nairobi's Jamhuri Park at an altitude of 5,800 feet, and East Germany's Jürgen May, the world's third fastest miler (behind Jazy and America's Jim Ryun) at 3:53.8, collapsed after finishing third. "It was the toughest race of my life." said May, who had been in Kenya for only 24 hours. "I just ran out of strength after the second lap." May added that the experience was worthwhile because he had learned what he would encounter at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, with its altitude of 7,500 feet. "I will need at least a month to get acclimatized there," said May.

MILEPOSTS—REINSTATED: FLOREN DIPAGLIA, one of Iowa's best golfers, as an amateur by the United States Golf Association, which had suspended him for "conduct detrimental to golf" last October (SI, Nov. 22, 1965).

SIGNED: CASSIUS CLAY, to defend his world heavyweight title twice this summer in Europe. Reminiscent of Joe Louis' bum-of-the-month campaign in the 1930s, Clay fights BRIAN LONDON, the former British champion, in London on August 6 and, unless London scores the upset or the decade, KARL MILDENBERGER of West Germany, the European titleholder, in Frankfurt, September 10.

DIED: GIUSEPPE (Nino) FARINA, 60, of Italy, the first official world driving champion (1950), when his Ford Cortina Lotus skidded on a curve and crashed near Chambery, France. Farina won the British and Swiss Grand Prix in an Alfa Romeo en route to his world title.

DIED: FRAN√áOIS DUPRÉ, 77, owner of an international network of hotels and of one of France's leading Thoroughbred stables and breeding farms; in Jamaica, after a four-year illness. A day earlier, his Danseur had won the Grand Prix de Paris. During his 45-year racing career Dupré's horses, trained by Fran√ßois Mathet (SI, June 6), won major events in America as well as in Europe, e.g., in 1962 when his Match II beat Kelso, Carry Back and Beau Purple in the Washington (D.C.) International at Laurel.