Skip to main content
Original Issue

THE WEEK (Dec. 19-Jan. 1)


For the second year in a row Chaminade, an NAIA school with only 900 students, pulled off a major upset during the Chaminade Classic in Honolulu. The Silverswords, who in '82 had shocked then No. 1-ranked Virginia 77-72, this time beat Louisville 83-72 in the consolation game. The Cardinals had lost 76-73 to Houston, which was then defeated 68-61 by Fresno State for the title. In the opening round, the Bulldogs beat Chaminade 66-59. A week earlier, Fresno State had beaten Oregon State 60-47 and Southwestern Louisiana 81-66.

Three Oregon State players who had been suspended for six games by the NCAA for selling complimentary game tickets returned in time to help the Beavers take the Far West Classic by beating Boise State 61-42, Washington State 79-57 and Oregon 63-59. In the title game Darryl Flowers, one of the three returnees, sank two baskets in overtime.

David Wingate scored all six Georgetown points in overtime, including a layup four seconds from the end, to overcome the University of Nevada. Las Vegas 69-67 in the final of the Holiday Classic. That was the first loss of the season for the Rebels, who had been 9-0. The Hoyas' tournament MVP, Patrick Ewing, had 41 points and 22 rebounds in two games, the first an 82-71 defeat of Marshall.

Early in the first half. UCLA raced from a 14-13 lead over BYU to a 35-18 margin. With 6:47 left in the game, however, the Cougars trailed by only three points before the Bruins steadied and won 82-73.

Texas-El Paso's 11-0 start was its best since 1966, when the school was known as Texas Western and it won the NCAA title. After getting past Michigan 72-71 in the first round of the Sun Bowl tournament in El Paso, the Miners beat Arizona 51-49 for the championship. UTEP also knocked off Alcorn State 70-57.


"A lot of people don't know I can dribble. It was time to do a little bit of everything." So said Wayman Tisdale of Oklahoma after he had frittered away the closing seconds of an 87-62 win over Arkansas-Little Rock in the finals of the All-College tournament in Oklahoma City. By then Tisdale had done a lot of everything. Like pulling down a career-high 22 rebounds in a first-round 112-72 rout of Texas-San Antonio. And like sinking 24 of 34 field-goal attempts and 13 of 18 foul shots as he poured in 61 points in that game, a single-game record for a Big Eight player. Tisdale surpassed the tournament's one-game mark of 53 points established in 1963 by Bennie Lenox of Texas A&M and equaled in 1968 by Pete Maravich of LSU. Tisdale then scored 23 points and got nine rebounds as the Sooners romped past Arkansas-Little Rock.

Up, up, up went a shot by Tyrone Corbin of DePaul in the waning moments of overtime in a tie game at Creighton. Corbin's shot soared beyond the desperate reach of Benoit Benjamin, the Bluejays' 7-footer. And when the shot, which was taken six feet from the basket, came down with three seconds to be played, it went through the net and gave the Blue Demons a 59-57 victory. Benjamin had forced the game into an extra period with a tip-in and subsequent foul shot with 27 seconds remaining; his jumper with 44 seconds to go in overtime tied the score at 57.

"Arkansas is Joe Kleine and four cats on the prowl," said St. Peter's (N.J.) coach Bob Dukiet before a game at Arkansas. The 6'11" Kleine netted all eight of his field-goal attempts and wound up with 23 points, his teammates prowled on defense, and St. Peter's succumbed 82-49. For the Peacocks, who had been a proud 8-0, it was their most lopsided defeat in Dukiet's five seasons as coach. Against Austin Peay, Kleine scored 20 points and the Razorbacks held off a late rally by the Governors to preserve a 68-63 victory.

Tulsa remained undefeated with two home-court victories. After beating Pepper-dine 102-70, the Golden Hurricane stopped Southern University 70-68.


Coach George Raveling, a devotee of man-to-man defense during practice, used a different tactic two weeks ago as Iowa beat Colorado 72-56 and Drake 66-43. "I didn't 'install' the zone." said Raveling, who resorted to it because he wanted to keep his opponents away from the boards. "We never practice it. I believe if you play good man-to-man you can shift to the zone without practice."

With Uwe Blab scoring 28 points. Indiana beat Ball State 86-43 in the first round of the Hoosier Classic. Boston College made it to the finals by stopping Iowa State. In the title matchup, two freshmen, Marty Simmons (21 points) and Steve Alford (19), carried the Hoosiers to a 72-66 victory.

What got Kentucky going was coach Joe B. Hall's vociferous protest of a foul that wasn't called against Purdue in Louisville. Hall drew a technical for his objection, after which the Wildcats went on a 15-0 tear en route to an 86-67 win. Earlier, Kentucky overcame a Cincinnati stall to win 24-11. Hall was so incensed by the Bearcats' tactics that he threatened to cancel any future basketball competition between the schools.

LSU trailed Vanderbilt by three with less than five minutes left when Johnny Jones stole the ball and sank a layup. Jerry Reynolds, who had a career-high 15 rebounds, hit a turnaround bank shot to put the Tigers in front for keeps, and Leonard Mitchell added a slam and a layup to enable LSU to win its SEC opener 73-66.

By winning three times. Wake Forest improved its December record for the past four years to 30-2. The Deacons took the Gator Bowl title by stopping Auburn 76-67 and Jacksonville 57-54. Then it was on to Winter Park, Fla., where Kenny Green had a career-high 32 points as Wake beat Rollins 112-74.

Virginia Commonwealth easily won the Richmond Times-Dispatch Invitational. After defeating Old Dominion 83-51, the Rams beat crosstown rival Richmond 61-47.


It was slow going for Georgetown coach John Thompson, who two weeks ago had to drive over icy roads and through massive traffic jams to get to the game, and for his Hoyas. who were tied up in the first half by Western Kentucky. By the time Thompson arrived at the Capital Centre in Landover, Md., the game was eight minutes old. Georgetown, which led by only 20-19 at halftime, finally stopped slipping and sliding and won 53-41. Hoya center Patrick Ewing scored 11 of his 14 points after the intermission.

North Carolina's Sam Perkins also had a hard time getting up to speed during the ECAC Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden. In a first-round 74-61 defeat of Iona. Perkins missed 10 of 11 floor shots and wound up with only six points. But in the final against St. John's, Perkins was in high gear, sinking 11 of 13 field-goal attempts, scoring 31 points and winning MVP honors as the Tar Heels prevailed 64-51. Michael Jordan of the Tar Heels, who sank just two of 12 shots against Iona, had 11 points against the Red-men, whose Chris Mullen had 18, two in the second half.

Maryland's Terrapins played like tortoises against Randolph-Macon, winning 58-52 in the first round of the Maryland Invitational, and like hares against La Salle, drubbing the Explorers 96-83 in the title game. Despite a distinct height advantage over the Yellow Jackets, the Terps were outrebounded 28-25 in the opener. La Salle made the mistake of trying to run and gun with Maryland, which came out of its shell and breezed as all five starters—Jeff Adkins, Ben Coleman, Adrian Branch. Herman Veal and Len Bias—scored 13 or more points. Earlier in the week, Maryland dealt Boston College its first defeat, 89-76, with Adkins gunning in 23 points.

North Carolina State walloped Towson State 88-49 and then, despite having four ailing players, beat Campbell 80-65. One of the injured was Lorenzo Charles, who sprained an ankle in the Towson game. Still, he scored 26 points in that one, and though limping noticeably, smoked the Camels' zone for 27 points on 11 of 13 shooting.



WAYMAN TISDALE: Oklahoma's 6'9" forward broke Wilt Chamberlain's single-game Big Eight scoring record of 52 points with 61—on 24 of 34 shooting—in a 112-72 blowout of Texas-San Antonio.