Skip to main content
Publish date:


Iowa Days

Allegations that Dick Schultz broke rules as Virginia's athletic director, which led to his resignation last week as the NCAA's executive director (page 72), were not Schultz's first brush with an infractions case. In 1964 the NCAA put Iowa on probation for transgressions that occurred during the '60-61 school year, when Schultz was the Hawkeye freshman basketball coach. The NCAA cited, among other things, an improper loan made by an off-campus employer to an athlete—reportedly future basketball Hall of Famer Connie Hawkins—who left school without repaying the debt. The NCAA didn't specify which Iowa officials were involved, and Schultz last week denied to SI that he committed any improprieties at Iowa. But in a widely and favorably reviewed '72 book on Hawkins, Foul!, David Wolf wrote that the Hawkeye athletic department devised a scheme during the '60-61 school year to give a bogus job to Hawkins. Wolf wrote that Schultz was one of several people involved in an "unethical recruiting operation" at Iowa and that "to get kids like Hawkins, they had to cheat."

True, the events at Iowa happened 30 years ago, but Schultz's responses to questions about them, like his answers to a special investigator in the Virginia case, cast doubt on his truthfulness today. In disciplining Iowa, the NCAA also cited recruiting violations involving high school basketball prospects who visited campus in the spring of 1961. Schultz told SI it was his recollection that the infractions for which Iowa was put on probation occurred only in football. Reminded that they also occurred in basketball, Schultz said he wasn't involved in basketball recruiting at the time. But Don Faes, who was one of the visiting high school prospects and who played two seasons at Iowa before transferring to North Dakota, recalls, "Schultz came down to see me in my high school games. Later he showed me around campus." Faes says that in his dealings with Schultz, "he did all the recruiting."

Perennial Garden

It was reported last week that the arena to be built to replace the Boston Garden will be called the Shawmut Center, after a New England bank. So, asked Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy, "Does this mean Celtic players are going to have to specialize in bank shots? Will the Bruins give us backchecking, fore-checking and interest-free checking?" Shaughnessy vowed to refer to the building as the New Garden.


From Phoenix comes fresh evidence that men may prefer sports to the fair sex. "We have to put the Suns' playoff games on TV, or we lose most of our customers at tip-off," says Tom O'Neill, manager of the HiLiter Showcase lounge. "As it is, we still lose a bunch. I guess during the game they don't want any distractions." Distractions? The HiLiter is a topless bar.

Of course, that an establishment such as the HiLiter is equipped with five television monitors is itself quite a revelation.

The Genuine Article

Some 40,000 thoroughbred foals are born each year in North America, but there is something special about the colt that was delivered at 5:05 p.m. last Saturday in an equine hospital near Lexington, Ky. The colt is the first live foal of Genuine Risk, the 16-year-old mare who as a 3-year-old won the 1980 Kentucky Derby but has had nine failed pregnancies since then.

The only other females to win the Derby were Regret in 1915 and Winning Colors in 1988. When Genuine Risk was retired after the 1980 campaign, the racing world eagerly awaited her offspring. She first was bred to Secretariat, the '73 Triple Crown winner, but she delivered that foal stillborn in 1982. That was the beginning of a sad story. Every year something happened to her foal.

This was the second year Genuine Risk had been bred to Rahy, a young stallion at the Three Chimneys Farm in Midway, Ky. The first foal died of a twisted umbilical cord. The Rahy foal born last week had to undergo minor surgery for an intestinal blockage but reportedly was doing fine.

The colt, as yet unnamed, will be eligible to run in the 1996 Kentucky Derby.

Fielding Gem
When the Kansas City Royals' George Brett hit his 300th career home run last week against the Indians in Cleveland, the ball was retrieved in the rightfield bleachers by Ralph Gay, a 55-year-old fan on an outing from a nearby veterans' hospital. Gay didn't catch the ball but picked it up as it rolled in front of him. Still, it was a pretty nifty move. Gay is blind.

Passing the Test

The day before it was to play Trenton State in an elimination game to qualify for the conference playoffs and a possible berth in the NCAA Division III baseball tournament, Rutgers-Newark forfeited. Reason: Scarlet Raider athletic director John Adams believed that the players' preparations for final exams were more important. "We felt too many student-athletes would be put at a disadvantage regarding their academic success," Adams said. "Obviously, the team was upset, but it supported the decision."

That's the first use of the term student-athlete we've heard in quite a while that actually seems justified.

Lone Wolf's Battler

Hysteria over AIDS drove Magic Johnson out of the NBA, but it hasn't sidelined Philip Tepe, a ninth-grader at Lone Wolf (Okla.) Public School. A hemophiliac who was infected with HIV during a blood-serum treatment when he was four or five and who developed AIDS by the time he was 11, Philip is a fine athlete, even though he's a mere five feet tall and 85 pounds. Last fall, just before the start of the basketball season, word got out that a Lone Wolf player had AIDS. Though health authorities say there is virtually no risk of HIV transmission on the basketball court, seven rival schools canceled games against Lone Wolf, and some of Lone Wolf's 600 citizens, including a clergyman, demanded that Philip not be allowed to play.

But cooler heads prevailed. "I just want to live a normal life," Philip said, adding that he also was determined to play because "there's probably going to be someone else coming into the same situation." Lone Wolf students rallied behind him. Chris Graham, a senior, said, "I've played with him every day for years, and I don't worry about getting infected, so why should anyone who sees him once or twice a year?" Philip also had the support of Lone Wolf school superintendent James Sutherland and of Paul Zenker, an epidemiologist for the state of Oklahoma, who assured Lone Wolf residents that Philip didn't pose a danger on the court. Zenker conveyed the same message to officials at nearby schools.

The educational effort paid off. Opposition to Philip in Lone Wolf died down, and some rival schools that were wavering agreed to keep the team on their schedules. Although Philip saw some playing time on the varsity, he spent much of the season on Lone Wolf's junior high team, averaging eight points a game. During the just-ended baseball season, he played third base in all five junior high games, reaching base eight times, on two hits and six walks, in 10 plate appearances.

Meanwhile, Philip's battle against AIDS goes on. He spent a few days in the hospital in March, and he has had to leave school early a few times because of fatigue. But on June 12 he expects to make a trip to Kansas City, where Lone Wolf's varsity basketball team will play a team of former Chiefs in a preliminary to a hoops exhibition game between current AFC and NFC players. Philip will be the AFC's honorary captain.



The rough treatment of Kasparaitis by Tocchet (left) included outrè political slurs.



[See caption above.]



For Philip, living a normal life means playing basketball and baseball.

Hard Driver Forever

A tearful A.J. Foyt (below) stepped out of his car at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway last week and, with a tip of the hat, announced his retirement to 200,000 of his closest friends. Foyt, 58, who has won four Indy 500s, has quit before but insists he means it this time. He will, he says, concentrate on his duties as a team owner. Anybody who thinks that Foyt has mellowed, though, wasn't listening to his radio instructions to his young driver Robin Gordon at the Long Beach Grand Prix last month after Gordon had been bumped by another driver, Eddie Cheever. Foyt growled, "You gonna take that, boy?" whereupon Gordon speared Cheever's car, knocking both Cheever and himself out of the race.

Reds Said It

•Jim Bowden, Cincinnati Red general manager, after sticking his foot through the picture tube of the family TV while watching his team lose to the Florida Marlins: "My kids didn't see it, so I didn't set a bad example."

•Roberto Kelly, Red outfielder, announcing his switch to the name Bobby: "It's permanent, for now."

A Former Red Said It

•Greg Swindell, Houston Astro pitcher, who played last season for Cincinnati owner Marge Schott: "She'd bring the dog into the dugout before games and say to it, 'Say hello to the pitcher.' I didn't even have a name."

An Alleged Red Said It

•Darius Kasparaitis, Lithuanian-born New York Islander defense-man, griping after the Isles' playoff upset of the Pittsburgh Penguins about Penguin forward Rich Tocchet: "He called me a Commie. I say, 'What, you talk about—Commie?' I don't like this."