• Michael Phelps will tour the U.S. with other Olympians to promote his sport, then return to action in October at the world short-course championships in Indianapolis.
• Natalie Coughlin will head back to Cal for the spring semester to complete her psychology degree.
• Amanda Beard (inset) will continue working toward a business degree at Arizona, where she'll be a senior.
• Gary Hall Jr. will attempt to launch a match-race series (with prize money) for top swimmers.
• Carly Patterson will take part in a 38city U.S. tour with most of her Olympic teammates while starting 11th grade (through correspondence work) at Spring Creek Academy in Plano, Texas.
• Paul Hamm will perform in a rival 12city gymnastics tour made up of international Olympians and in January will enroll with twin brother Morgan as a sophomore at Ohio State.
• Lisa Fernandez will pitch in the Ladies Pro Fastpitch Association, a new league set to launch in 2005.
• Jennie Finch will get married in October to Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Casey Daigle.
• Deena Kastor will run the New York City Marathon in November, attempting to become the first American since 1994 to win one of the major U.S. marathons (Boston, New York, Chicago).
SIMON BRUTY (BEARD)