4 Leading Off
14 Catching Up With ...
17 Air and Space
Yes, they're rich, but do sports stars treasure anything as much as their old Christmas toys? by Steve Rushin
• The Grinch stole hockey
• SI's exotic holiday gift guide
• Mia Hamm's farewell to the pitch
• The Show: Heisman vs. Heisman
34 Faces in the Crowd
98 The Life of Reilly
Baghdad to the Big 12: an Aggie with a Purple Heart by Rick Reilly
84 The NFL
• Weis to juggle Patriots, Irish jobs
91 The NBA
• Carmelo Anthony's learning curve
95 College Football
• Will recruits flock to Spurrier?
97 College Basketball
• Hoosiers taking a hammering
48 Passing Marks
The Colts' Peyton Manning is on the verge of breaking a hallowed record set by one of his quarterbacking idols
by Michael Silver
56 Suspiciously Good
The surprising Sonics are off to a torrid start--and doubters are starting to believe
by Chris Ballard
60 Ready for Takeoff
Senior forward and newly licensed pilot Joey Graham is flying high for the unbeaten Oklahoma State Cowboys
by Grant Wahl
66 He Gets $33 Million?
At the winter meetings teams spent fortunes on second-tier pitchers such as Russ Ortiz
by Tom Verducci
72 Pride of Peabody
Jeff Allison, bound for big-league stardom, was nearly killed by drugs
by Michael Bamberger
PHOTOGRAPH BY JOHN BIEVER
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, go to sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
• More college hoops scoop from Kelli Anderson, Seth Davis, Grant Wahl, Stewart Mandel and Luke Winn, plus scores, breaking news and rankings, at SI.com/basketball/ncaa.
BILL FRAKES (GRAHAM)
HE'S GOT HIS PROPS
Oklahoma State's Joey Graham is mad about hoops and planes (page 60).
JIM DALY/SALEM NEWS (ALLISON)