Skip to main content
Original Issue

For the Record


The Wimbledon men's doubles title, by Australia's Stephen Huss (above, left) and South Africa's Wesley Moodie (right)--the first qualifiers ever to win the event. Huss, 29, and Moodie, 26, who beat U.S. twins Bob and Mike Bryan in four sets in the final, had never played a major tournament together before Wimbledon. They won two matches to qualify, then lost only three sets in sweeping their six matches during the fortnight. "I'm definitely surprised," said Huss, who has had 12 different doubles partners in 13 Grand Slam events but had never advanced past the second round.


By Russian president Vladimir Putin, a 2005 Super Bowl ring (below) as a gift from Patriots owner Robert Kraft. But was it a gift? At a meeting between Putin and Western businessmen in St. Petersburg, Russia, on June 25, Kraft took off his ring, which is encrusted with 124 diamonds, and handed it to Putin. The president tried it on then put it in his pocket and left with it. After days of speculation that Putin had taken the jewelry without permission--speculation that was fueled by Kraft's silence on the matter--the owner said last week that the ring was a present. Putin "was clearly taken with [the ring's] uniqueness," Kraft said. "At that point I decided to give him the ring as a symbol of the respect and admiration that I have for the Russian people and [his] leadership."


For 20 games for assaulting two cameramen, Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, who was also fined $50,000. The lefthander, who broke the pinkie of his right hand on June 17 after punching a watercooler, took exception to being filmed on the field before the Rangers' June 29 home game. Rogers, who was cheerily whistling, strolled up to a Fox Sports Net cameraman and shoved him, then moved on to Larry Rodriguez, who works for a Dallas station. Rogers roughly knocked Rodriguez's camera to the ground twice, the second time kicking it. He then glared at another camera in the dugout and said, "Put it in my face again and I'll break every goddam one of them." Rodriguez was treated by paramedics for neck, back and leg pain. He filed a report with Arlington police, who were deciding whether to charge Rogers, who on Sunday was named to the AL All-Star team.


By the NFL for scalping Super Bowl tickets, Minnesota coach Mike Tice. Commissioner Paul Tagliabue last week docked Tice $100,000, the largest fine ever levied against an NFL coach. (Two Vikings assistants were also fined $10,000 for the same offense.) Tice admitted to league officials that he had sold some of the 12 Super Bowl XXXIX tickets that he was entitled to as a head coach, to a broker for $1,900 each, more than triple their face value. Tice--whose 2004 salary of $750,000 made him the NFL's lowest-paid head coach--issued a statement saying, "I used poor judgment and it will not happen again.... I consider this matter closed."


By the Philadelphia Eagles, Terrell Owens's plan to play with the Sacramento Kings' NBA summer league team. The wide receiver (above)--who was a backup shooting guard at Tennessee-Chattanooga and played a few games for the USBL's Adirondack Wildcats in the summer of 2002--was invited to indulge his basketball passion by Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof, pending his employers' permission. The Eagles were worried he might get hurt, but the decision could further sour their relationship with the All-Pro, who has threatened to hold out during training camp if his $49 million contract isn't renegotiated.


To the family of sportscaster and writer Dick Schaap, $1.95 million in medical malpractice damages. In September 2001, the 67-year-old Schaap checked into Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City for hip-replacement surgery. He went into respiratory distress after the operation and, without leaving the hospital, died three months later. Schaap's family sued, saying that he had suffered lung damage from regular use of a drug to treat an irregular heartbeat, and that doctors should have postponed the hip surgery to give his lungs time to heal.


The right leg of Cal offensive tackle Mike Tepper, who was run over by a car filled with men who had been harassing a female friend of his. The 6'6", 312-pound sophomore was walking near the campus in Berkeley with former Cal volleyball player Camille Leffal when the men began taunting the pair and cut them off in a crosswalk. When the two tried to pass behind the car, the driver threw it into reverse and hit the gas. Tepper pushed Leffal out of the way but was run over, breaking his fibula, dislocating his tibia and tearing ankle ligaments. Two men were arrested and charged with assault with a deadly weapon. Tepper, who had surgery last week, will miss the 2005 season. Leffal escaped with bruises. Bears coach Jeff Tedford said he was "proud of the courage Mike showed."


Former All-Star catcher Dick Dietz, of a heart attack at age 63. Dietz played eight seasons, mostly with the Giants, and homered in the 1970 All-Star game, but he's best remembered for one of the most controversial plays in major league history. In 1968 Dietz batted with the bases loaded against Dodgers righthander Don Drysdale, who had pitched 44 consecutive scoreless innings, 12 short of Walter Johnson's record. Dietz was hit by a pitch, seemingly ending the shutout streak, but umpire Harry Wendelstedt ruled that he didn't attempt to avoid the ball and called him out. Drysdale escaped the inning without allowing a run and went on to set a record of 582/3 scoreless innings.