AUGUST 8, 2005
VOLUME 103, NO. 5
4 Leading Off
10 Catching Up With ...
15 Air and Space
There are sports heroes and there are just plain heroes. Capt. Dan Rooney is one of the latter by Steve Rushin
• Palmeiro suspended for steroids
• T-ball coach to stand trial
• Q&A: Billy Bob Thornton
28 Faces in the Crowd
76 The Life of Reilly
Allow me to pay tribute to the long-suffering forecaddie. With cartoons, of course by Rick Reilly
• Katie Hoff, 16, is new IM star
• Hackett has most worlds medals
• Manny stays in Boston after all
• More second sackers in the Hall?
38 Bigger Than Ever
As camps open, the NFL's popularity is at an alltime high
by Peter King
• Stronger Than Ever: How five vets got ready for camp
50 Bottom's Up!
The young Oakland A's turned up their intensity, moving from last place to playoff contention
by Albert Chen
52 Make Way for Morgan
Out of a swarm of U.S. teen sensations comes Morgan Pressel, who is dead set on becoming the top woman pro
by E.M. Swift
56 Bringing It Home
Returning to live in his native Indiana has calmed NASCAR's Tony Stewart and put him on track for a second Cup title
by Lars Anderson
Like his legendary heater, Hall of Famer Bob Feller comes at you hard and fast
by Frank Deford
PHOTOGRAPH BY JOHN BIEVER
INSET PHOTOS: Andy Altenburger/Icon SMI (Palmeiro); Michael J. LeBrecht II/1Deuce3 Photography (Barber)
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, go to sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
• For more training tips from Tiki Barber, Donovan McNabb and other NFL veterans--plus advice from a team nutritionist--go to SI.com/workouts.
The Pats hit the pads (page 38).
MICHAEL O'NEILL (INSET)