NOVEMBER 21, 2005
VOLUME 103, NO. 20
The Duke Way
A fabulous freshman class must learn at the sneakers of Coach K
by Grant Wahl
Chicago and New York, sure, but check out Houston and Seattle
by Grant Wahl
Made in Texas
Longhorns star Daniel Gibson is ready for his Final Four moment
by Luke Winn
Candace, Take Two
Now that she's finally healthy, will Tennessee's Candace Parker radically alter the women's game?
by Kelli Anderson
5 Minute Guide
A fast-break index of players, teams and trends to watch for
by Seth Davis
SI's Top 20
Plus, a scouting report, lineup and scout's take for all 20 teams
Filling the Brackets
From No. 21 down to No. 65
A SPECIAL RUN OF COVERS
This week SI features covers with four teams from SI's Top 10 for the 2005 college basketball preview.
44 The Wild, Wild SEC
Another heart-stopping Saturday in the game's most exciting conference
by Phil Taylor
50 Fallen Idols
From dynasty to disaster--inside the collapse of a once-proud franchise
by Michael Silver
54 Bottom's Up
The Galaxy shine again in the MLS final, thanks to a surprise hero
by Grant Wahl
12 Leading Off
24 Catching Up With ...
27 Air and Space
The boy who got TO to talk his way off the Eagles by Steve Rushin
• The invisible heavyweight champ
• Anybody miss Latrell Sprewell?
38 Faces in the Crowd
136 The Life of Reilly
The pits are the pits by Rick Reilly
127 The NFL
• Falcons' DT Rod Coleman is scary
130 College Football
• USC has too much talent. Really
132 The NHL
• Why Eric Staal liked the lockout
135 The NBA
• Webber and AI learn to share!
PHOTOGRAPH BY BILL FRAKES
INSET PHOTOS: Bill Frakes (Parker);
Darren Carroll (Gibson)
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, go to sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
ON THE WEB
GO TO SI.COM DAILY FOR SCORES, STATS AND BREAKING NEWS
• You go, JoePa. With Penn State (9-1) ranked fifth in the nation and one win away from sharing the Big Ten title for the first time since 1994, the locals have stopped clamoring for the 78-year-old Paterno (above) to step down. Get pregame and postgame news on Penn State--Michigan State, Ohio State--Michigan and more at SI.com/collegefootball.
• Stewart Mandel offers some tips for fixing the flailing programs at Michigan State, Nebraska and Texas A&M at SI.com/collegefootball.
• Can't get enough of Peter King's expert NFL analysis? Now he's available in video, in King's Corner, a weekly segment in which King answers a question posed by HBO's Bob Costas. Check them out at SI.com/video/peter_king.
• When Rick Reilly (below) came up with the idea of being on a NASCAR pit crew, he envisioned something much different from what he actually found on Sunday in Phoenix. For a photo gallery and video of Rick in the pits, go to SI.com/reilly.
• Where do the Cavs and LeBron James (right) rank in SI.com's Power Rankings? Why would the T-Wolves consider trading Kevin Garnett? Find out at SI.com/NBA with columns from Jack McCallum, Ian Thomsen, Marty Burns and more.
• From Durham's Hated Dukies to LSU's Homegrown Big Men to Tucson's Point Guard Posse, SI.com reveals the country's 10 best basketball assembly lines at SI.com/collegebasketball.
Also get Seth Davis's Hoops Diaries and men's and women's Power Rankings.
SPORTS ILLUSTRATED (ISSN 0038-822X) is published weekly, with an extra issue in February and two issues combined in July and at year end, by Time Inc. Principal Office: Time & Life Building, Rockefeller Center, New York, NY 10020-1393. Ann Moore, Chairman, CEO; Richard Atkinson, Executive Vice President. Periodicals postage paid at New York, NY, and additional mailing offices. Canada Post Publications Mail Agreement No. 40110178. Return undeliverable Canada Addresses to: Postal Stn A, PO Box 4322, Toronto, ON, M5W 3G9. GST #122781974RT. U.S. subscription: $89.04 for 56 issues. SUBSCRIBERS: If the postal service alerts us that your magazine is undeliverable, we have no further obligation unless we receive a corrected address within two years. POSTMASTER: Send address changes to SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, Post Office Box 30602, Tampa, FL 33630-0602. MAILING LIST: We make a portion of our mailing list available to reputable firms. If you would prefer that we not include your name, please call or write to us. ¬©2005 TIME INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION IN WHOLE OR IN PART WITHOUT PERMISSION IS PROHIBITED. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF TIME INC.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SUBSCRIPTIONS: For 24/7 service, please use our website: www.SI.com/customerservice. You can also call 1-800-528-5000 or write to SI at P.O. Box 30602, Tampa, FL 33630-0602.
BILL FRAKES (4)
ALLEN KEE/WIREIMAGE.COM (YOUNG)
130 HORNS APLENTY Texas, led by Vince Young, stampeded Kansas.
AL TIELEMANS (PATERNO)
ROBERT BECK (REILLY)
GREG NELSON (LEBRON JAMES)