SUPER BOWL XLIPREVIEW
42 | The outcomein Miami will hinge on a line-of-scrimmage mind game. Can Brian Urlacheroutsmart Peyton Manning?
by Tim Layden
by Jeffri Chadiha
by Peter King
by David Sabino
Roger Federer's Australian Open win came as no surprise. Serena Williams'stitle march was shocking
by L. Jon Wertheim
54 Going South
Home of many top scorers and an up-tempo style, the once lowly Southeast is nowthe NHL's best division
by Michael Farber
60 Trade Time?
As the NBA trade deadline nears, G.M.'s are working the phones but seemreluctant to make a move. Why?
by Ian Thomsen
64 The Ritual
It was always a big game, but in its early days it was still just a game. Thenthe Super Bowl became a national holiday
by David Halberstam
6 Leading Off
17 Air andSpace
Move over, Miami. The ideal Super site is a part-Indy, part-Windy city that's amix of Colts and Bears fans
by Steve Rushin
Who's the greatest—Woods or Federer?
A history of bird-flipping
28 Faces in theCrowd
First Person: Colts LB Cato June
Emeril teaches a saint to cook
80 Life ofReilly
Five young athletes from across the U.S. who play different sports—so what dothey have in common?
by Rick Reilly
Questions for the season's second half
‚ñ∏ The fresh face of U.S. skating
PHOTOGRAPH BY SIMON BRUTY
INSET PHOTOS: Chris Livingston/EPA (Dungy); Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images(Smith)
To sign up for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's free subscriber-only e-mail newsletter, goto sicustomerservice.com/siextra.
ON THE WEB
CHECK OUT THE NEW AND IMPROVED SI.COM. ALL FREE, ALL THE TIME. CUSTOMIZEDACCESS TO YOUR FAVORITE TEAMS. HD-QUALITY PHOTOS. STREAMING VIDEO. THE LATESTNEWS AND BEST ANALYSIS.
ON OUR NEW HOMEPAGE...
1. Read threefeature-story package; they rotate every 10 seconds.
2. Real-timescores; personalize your scoreboard with your favorite teams.
3. Stay on top ofthe latest breaking sports news.
4. A full lineupof video, including She says, Z says and Riffs of Reilly.
5. Read thejuiciest rumblings in every sport with Truth & Rumors.
6. Award-winningphotos of your favorite moments, players and teams.
7. Get thelighter side of sports and culture in Scorecard Daily.
8. Complete highschool coverage, with news, rankings and recruiting.
my SI DOWNLOADFREE
Pick your favorite NBA team and get news from across the Web and photos on yourdesktop at SI.com/mySI.
DALE ZANINE/US PRESSWIRE (HOCKEY)
54 SOUTHERN DISCOMFORT In a tough intradivision clash, Thrashers center Bobby Holik leveled Vaclav Prospal of the Lightning.
DAVID BERGMAN (MANNING)
BOB ROSATO (URLACHER)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8